Sunday, February 17, 2008

time flies...

wow i didn't realize how long it's been since i was on here! so much has been going on in the past few days. i had good intentions to do a valentine's photo shoot....i still will have to do something cute with eli, i gotta put SOMETHING in his scrapbook! unfortunately, we spent valentine's day (valentine's week actually) in the hospital. my poor little boy was so sick. i took him in to the ER Wednesday night b/c he was running a fever of 103 and not keeping any formula down. they did chest x-rays and bloodwork. they had such a hard time drawing blood, they tried veins in both feet, both hands, and both arms. it took 3 people and they blew two viens before they finally got one in his arm. he was pretty much hysterical at that point. then we found out the Flu A test came back positive. Dr. Sibley said that didn't necessarily mean he had flu (still not understanding that one?) but definitely he had a very bad respiratory infection. they said his white blood cell count was extremely high and admitted him to a room in the peds unit. respiratory therapists had to come in and give him breathing treatments every 3 hours. he was also on oxygen, IV fluids, and antibiotics.

on the second day i was able to give him 2 oz of pedialyte, that's all he had all day!! then Dr. Sibley made his rounds and said he could have some formula, but he still only drank 4 oz each feeding, and it seemed to me like he was already losing weight! MeMe came and stayed with him and let me go home and rest for a while.

on the 3rd day they took him off the oxygen and he was breathing all right. dr. sibley said if he had no fever and could stay off the oxygen for 24 hours he could go home. i finally broke down and went to the dr myself, it was so hard taking care of him when i was sick too! he put me on antibiotics and cough syrup and also (pink eye) conjunctivitis eye drops!

today (4th day) he was finally released! i know he was happy to have the IV removed, he had chewed on it the entire time! he has some ugly bruises from being stuck so many times, hopefully they will go away soon.

He is feeling a lot better now that we're home, but still has to have breathing treatments every 4 hours now, and is on antibiotics for the next 14 days. I am going to try to get his apetite back up. they weighed him in the ER at 18lbs 11oz, and we have a follow up appt on Monday so I will have them re-weigh to check out the situation. He is finally back on solids after 4 days, but still not eating near at much as he was before. I am wondering if I lost any weight too, I passed on a lot of the hospital food, I didn't have much of an apetite either, and the looks and smells of it didn't entice me much!

No comments:

Swagbucks Widget